GIRLS Tryouts – Club Season – General Information
Be sure you are on our mailing list so you receive updates. Send an email to LJV with with your child’s name, grade and your preferred email address(es).
At La Jolla Volleyball club tryouts, we not only test and assess players’ volleyball abilities and athleticism, we also offer feedback and instruction during our tryouts process. For the players: this helps them know what we are looking for, and also get a feel for LJV’s coaching styles and personalities. For the coaches: this helps the coaches assess a player’s coach-ability during the tryouts process and see how players learn and respond to feedback. We do our best to communicate what we are looking for at tryouts as well as team and player expectations. Come have fun, play hard, and show us your best effort!
NEW for 2019:
- 15U-18U (high school age players) have CLUB SEASON TRYOUTS in JULY preceding their High School season. After these July tryouts, then players go play on their various High School or Fall teams (no club team practices for players are competing in CIF with their HS team). Practices for 15U-18U teams begin in late November(after HS season ends), tournaments begin in December and conclude in May/June, depending on team. (this is NEW & EARLIER than previous years!!)
- 10U-14U (8th grade and younger) have CLUB SEASON TRYOUTS in OCTOBER, during Fall mini-season. Practices for 10U-14U teams begin in early November, tournaments begin in December and conclude in May/June, depending on team. (this is the same time frame as past years)
All the information BELOW is from last year… this will all be updated by end of May 2019 with upcoming information!
Spring Season 2017-18 TRYOUTS – tryouts start Oct/Nov 2018!
Girls Club Season Tryouts: held in Oct/Nov for tournament season of Dec/Jan through May/June:
- Girls 14/13/12/11/10 and Under (8th grade and younger) – Sat-Sun-Mon Oct 6-7-8, 2018
- Girls 15 and Under (HS Freshman) – Sat-Sun-Mon Oct 27-28-29, 2018
- Girls 18/17/16 and Under (HS So/Jr/Srs) – begins WEDNESDAY Nov. 7, 2018
Click on Girls Spring Season for descriptions about LJV’s Spring club season and various teams offered.
Printable High School age Tryouts Flier: Girls Tryouts 2018-19 HS Tryouts flyer
Players in CIF playoffs: If you are on Varsity for your high school team and your team is still in CIF/State playoffs at the time of your tryouts, you are not allowed to actively participate in tryouts until your final high school match has concluded. However, you must still attend club tryouts at least the first day (or 2nd day with approval) to show your interest, commitment and to be considered for team placement. Please send an email to Barb to notify of your interest in trying out and to inform of upcoming games so you can be watched in playoff games if possible. Also, be sure to pre-register for tryouts so you are on our list and considered/eligible for team placement with LJV! If you wait until after tryouts are over to contact club(s), we will likely not have room for you.
All players must REGISTER ONLINE prior to participation.
Tryouts Fee: $45/player
This fee covers all tryouts dates and includes an LJV tryouts t-shirt. No walk-ins at tryouts, must register online.
Click here for Online Registration (all LJV programs, including Teams, Clinics, Tryouts)
From SCVA website regarding Club Tryouts:
The following tryout dates and commitment dates will be used for those clubs in the Bakersfield, Las Vegas, and San Diego areas:
Please note, the SCVA recognizes that Las Vegas and San Diego area high school players are bound to different CIF rules. The SCVA asks that all Las Vegas and San Diego clubs and players abide by those rules, so as to not jeopardize the eligibility of girls during their high school season. Thus the following tryout dates and commitment dates will be used for those clubs in the Las Vegas and San Diego areas:
- Girls 14 and Under Divisions- tryout date of October 6, 2018, with a commitment date of October 10, 2018. The commitment day of October 10, 2018, is also the first day a player can be sized for uniforms.
- Girls 15 and Under Division- tryout date of October 27, 2018, with a commitment date of October 30, 2018. The commitment day of October 30, 2018, is also the first day a player can be sized for uniforms.
- Girls 18 thru 16 and Under Divisions- tryout date of November 7, 2018, with a commitment date of November 11, 2018. The commitment day of November 11, 2018, is also the first day a player can be sized for uniforms.
A Letter of Commitment should be signed by all participants. When a release is requested by an individual member, the SCVA honors the Letter of Commitment. If a letter of Commitment is not in place, and a player requests a release, the SCVA has the means to grant this release without the clubs’ approval if all other requirements (deadlines and non-frozen roster rules) are met.
After tryouts have been completed, and letter of commitments signed and submitted to clubs, all teams in the 14s and under divisions may not begin practices until November 1, 2018. After tryouts have been completed, and letter of commitments signed and submitted to clubs, all teams in the 15s and older divisions, for all High School aged players not involved in CIF or State championships, may not begin practices until November 26, 2018. An organized practice is defined as 5 or more rostered individuals participating in designed volleyball training. Team bonding get-togethers do not qualify as practices.
Fall season TRYOUTS:
Fall girls middle school season begins with TRYOUTS in late August and concludes in mid/late-October. Click on Girls Fall Season for specific tryouts dates and more information. Fall 2018 tryouts have concluded and Fall mini-season is currently underway.