This page includes helpful advice and information about how you can get recruited to play in college, and we will continue to update and add information here.
Want to play volleyball in college? Depending on your level of play, your academics, and support from your coaches, your child can play volleyball in college!
There are over 1,800 colleges and universities that have volleyball teams in the U.S.:
- DI: 334 schools
- DII: 298 schools
- DIII: 437 schools
- NAIA: 220 schools
- 2yr, 4yr, JuCO: 515 schools
There’s a right-fit school for you!
Volleyball coaches want to hear from YOU… The Player will need to put in some time and effort to reach out to colleges, market herself, and find her desired school(s). By reaching out to college coaches, you will open many more doors and find yourself being recruited, and possibly discovering schools you had not heard of, but want YOU to play in their program!
- Get great grades. that will open the most doors, and typically offer more money
- Work harder than all your teammates, on and off the court and in the classroom
- Make sure your volleyball coaches and club director know that you want to play in college
- Target the schools where you want to live and are a good-fit academically
- Be realistic in identifying what level you can contribute and make an impact
- Create a personal highlight reel and a skill video
- Start sending personal emails to coaches!
- Keep in contact and be sure to always REPLY to coaches within 48 hours!
Playing a college sport is not easier than high school or club. It’s even MORE work and demands strong time management skills. It’s never too early to start managing your own time and priorities… Parents, let your daughters be in charge of their schedules and commitments now, so that college is not such an overwhelming shock. But if you do want to play in college, it’s rewarding and memorable and exciting!
“The Ultimate Recruiting Guide for College Volleyball”
PDF file: The_Recruiting_Guide
(this is the BEST guide/overview I’ve seen anywhere!)
LJV Recruiting Seminar was held January 10, 2017
special presentations by:
- Eric Sato, 2-time Olympic volleyball medalist and recruiting expert
- Michelle Miller, from Reel Sports Recruit, video & recruiting services (scroll down for more info/links)
- Dr. Matt Pennetti, Life Chiropractic Center, concussion presentation and awareness
click for PDF of presentation slides: LJV Recruiting Seminar Presentation-jan2017
All La Jolla Volleyball club, all players on our high school age travel teams (15s-16s-17s-18s) receive membership/access to SportsRecruits.com, providing access to every college program in the country and personalized player profiles.
LJV players: make sure you log in to your page and update your personal profile with your headshot, height, reach, approach jump touch, skills, GPA, test scores, awards, and skills videos (see ReelSportsRecruit link below for how to get a video highlight reel made!)
Reel Sports Recruit – excellent video services, with fantastic special deal only for LJV players. Highlight videos are the most effective way to promote your skills… everyone needs highlight films! The sis the number one reason that a college coach will come to your court at a tournament to watch you play… because you’ve sent them you video(s)! Michelle & Eric are the BEST recruiting experts to offer advice, guidance, help you with videos, contacting college coaches, etc. They’re up-front and honest and highly experienced!
Reel Sports Recruit website: www.reelsportsrecruit.com
NCAA Eligibility Center – register now!
Dr. Matt Pennetti – Life Chiropractic Center
concussion awareness, baseline study, treatment, and more…
NCSA – National Collegiate Scouting Association: http://www.ncsasports.org
lots of free helpful info/advice on their website, so get on their emailing list for free info & blogs.
but DON’T dive into any financial commitment with NCSA (until/unless you talk with your coach first)
AVCA – American Volleyball Coaches Association
Here’s a link to the PDF file “The Ultimate Recruiting Guide for College Volleyball” The_Recruiting_Guide
Get your profiles updated (video highlights, your grades) and be sure to contact college coaches BEFORE tournaments and showcases!